Monday, July 7, 2008

Nasty thyroid picture

Here's the picture of the nasty bugger! The Dr. said it was really big, although not the biggest he'd seen. He DID say it was the most misshapen, ugliest one he'd ever seen. Yeah, I aim to please. ;)
The big blobs all over are nodules, and they all tested positive for cancer. You can see it closer if you click on the picture, but the entire thing measured over 4 inches (11 cm). It's actually flipped around; the left side was the really bad one.
Here's a good website to see what a REAL thyroid is supposed to look like http://www.trifoundation.com/thyroid/whatIsThyroid.cfm
Thanks to my AWESOME sister Tiffany, we now know that:
Normal is no more than 3-4 cm in height, 1-1.5 cm in width and 2-3 mm in depth. So, yeah, my thyroid was (as the pathologist put it) "really impressive".
Quick update: I got my stitches out today and it looks MUCH better. I get the steri-tape off in another week, and my calcium's so good I don't have to go in for a test until Thursday! Yeah for me! I'm also taking a nap a day and really don't feel too bad so far. Again, the help and love from friends and family is the BIGGEST reason for that. I love you all SO much!

7 comments:

Kathie said...

Blech!!! EW GROSS! AWESOME!!!! You are so cool!

Net said...

Oh my gosh, Liz! I am so glad that everything is okay with you. I'm sorry that you've had to go through that this summer, and I'm so glad that you will get your beautiful voice back. You are a trooper!

Chelsi Archibald said...

I'm so glad to hear that you are okay! You are so brave and we are so proud of you!!! Get well soon :)

Liz said...

Ah, you guys are the best! Thanks so much! I really am counting my blessings; we were SO blessed in a lot of ways with this. Happening over the summer, getting it out so quickly, surgery going so well: somebody up there loves me. ;)

Unknown said...

I had no idea!! What can I do to help? You are so brave and I admire you. You are always so up.
Sheryl

Unknown said...

Liz - This is Judy Keller (Morrell). I can't believe what has happened to you!!! Some people will do anything to get a picture of their thyroid online!!! (just kiddin).... My prayers are with you. I'll check in with you in a few weeks to see how you are. In the mean time.... you have my number, please call if you want to "sing". You've always been so upbeat.... I can just hear you laughing even now. Hang in their girlie. I'll be in touch.

Liz said...

Thanks, Sheryl! I'm only as brave as my family and friends. :)

ROFL, Judy!! I always have been an attention-seeker, haven't I. Who knew I would go to such great lengths!!! ;)

You're so sweet, love you both so much. Big hugs!